BECKTON GASWORKS

HISTORY

SITE HISTORY

Beckton Gasworks opened for use in 1870, taking its name from the Gas Light and Coke Company’s governor, Simon Adams Beck. During its 100 years of operation, the site had its own railway system, with connections to a series of wharfs over the Thames, where coal from Durham was off-loaded for production at the gasworks.

Until its closure in 1969, the gasworks was the largest of its kind in Europe. Little of the gasworks’ infrastructure remains today and most of the land lies derelict, creating an opportunity for redevelopment which embraces the site’s history.

TIMELINE